Featured Posts

Starting-Up the 'Outside In' Blog

As Winston Churchill had famously spoken about 'never wasting a good crisis', I am taking some inspiration from the same in the '...

3 Variables of a Job

I am putting this post here because it has come up in work conversations so often during the last many years that I think deserves to be published and saved for tomorrow's reference. Yes, it really has that truism.

As I remember this story, some professor of my elder brother, who was doing his MBA at ISB in 2005-06, had mentioned to their class that there are 3 variables to every job - Profile, Location and Money.

In most jobs, only one variable will really meet your expectations. (Keep looking.)
In good jobs, two variables will meet your expectations. (Enjoy it.)
In ideal jobs, all three variables will meet your expectations. (Stick with it.)

I have analyzed many people's jobs on these 3 variables over the years (including multiple jobs of mine) and have found all job issues (or lack thereof) were somehow always in line with these 3 variables. Hence, I think that it is a good tool to use when evaluating an existing job as well as a new job. And, especially so when evaluating quitting an existing job and comparing it with a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment